Heather Estate, ML11
Rising and falling over scenic valleys and dramatic hills, Heather Estate in the southern Scottish uplands offers an impressive landscape with its wide, open stretches of rugged moorland with spectacular heather carpet, parkland, formal and wild garden grounds, forest areas and waterside access including natural streams, rivers, ponds and a large fishing lake.
Multiple livestock farms spread across the estate, providing access to a wide selection of buildings including farmhouses, cottages, barns, animal enclosures, outbuildings, sheds and warehouse space; settings ranging from your modern-day ‘working’ farmyards to backdrops of the more traditional nature with some older, derelict buildings too.
Sitting at the heart of the estate, amongst the parkland and gardens, is the main country house, offering interior opportunities with its selection of formal rooms, including the dining room, drawing room, smoking room and bedrooms.
- 33,000 acres of heather moorland, parkland, orchards, wild flower meadows, evergreen forest areas and ancient woodland
- Gardens including formal grounds with stretches of lawn, avenues and walled areas, with access to the old gardens featuring a stumpery, Victorian rockery and wildlife ponds
- Country house with a fine selection of interior rooms also available including kitchen, dining room, drawing room, smoking room, cellar and many bedrooms (available as a shoot takeover location)
- Multiple farmyards offering a considerable range of farm buildings; from the ancient and derelict to the more modern including traditional Victorian style courtyards, sheds, old outbuildings and animal pens, along with access to modern barns, stores and warehouse space
- Woodland cottage (available for exteriors, possibly for interiors depending on requirements)
- Extensive selection of other residential properties including cottages, farmhouses and bungalows (available for exteriors)
- Private tarmacked roads and hard standing tracks
- Fishing lake and riverside access
- Tower ruins in the parkland
- Wind turbines
- Small bridges
- Excavated ice house
- Modern tractors and farm machinery, quad bikes and pick-ups
- Cattle, sheep and dogs
FACILITIES ON LOCATION
There is plenty of parking available for crew vehicles. A variety of crew bases can on be set up on location, depending on requirements and where best to base it. Access to toilet facilities can also be made available.
A restaurant and farm shop are located on the estate, along with a bakery and a couple of takeaways only a short drive away.
Heather Estate can offer a ‘Shoot and Stay’ solution with its 3x holiday cottages, sleeping 16 persons in total. Depending on shoot requirements, the main house may also be available for overnight stays. Further hotel accommodation can be found within a 20 minute drive of the estate.
GETTING TO HEATHER ESTATE
Trains run from London to either Lockerbie or Motherwell station. The estate is approximately a 30 minute drive from Motherwell station and a 40 minute drive from Lockerbie.
Glasgow airport is approximately a 45 minute drive.
The estate is approximately an hour by car to Edinburgh and just over an hours drive to Carlisle.
Central London is approximately 6 hours by car.