Chalk River Farm, SP11
Chalk River Farm stretches across 1,200 acres of rolling chalk downland in Hampshire spanning fields of crops, grassland, water meadows, woodland and wild flower strips. Part of the Countryside stewardship scheme, the farm also dedicates a lot of its land to protect wildlife and maintain natural habitats.
There’s an interesting variety of backdrops on offer at the farm, with its modern stores within the main working farmyard, an original dryer with atmospheric underground tunnel and aerial walkways, solar park, campsite, derelict woodland huts and paint-balling site complete with quirky props and building sets; in what was once a former mushroom farm.
The farm also provides access to two miles of clear chalk streams along the River Anton, which is commonly used for dry fly fishing and has a collection of fishing huts nestled on the riverbank, including a delightful thatched hut, all available to hire.
- Approximately 1,200 acres of arable fields (winter wheat, spring barley and oilseed rape), permanent grassland, water meadows, woodland and wild flower areas
- Rolling valley landscape with far-reaching views
- Working farmyard featuring a collection of agricultural buildings including large modern stores and original dryer
- Former old mushroom farm, which now operates as a paint-balling site
- Main Georgian farmhouse (with more recent additions) available both inside and out, with adjoining gardens featuring a productive vegetable plot, polytunnel and outdoor swimming pool
- 6x Victorian cottages and more modern cottages available for exteriors only
- 2 miles of chalk streams with access to a collection of fishing huts along the riverbank and a small bridge
- Derelict sheds and shelters in the woods (old railway buildings)
- 30 acre solar farm
- Old chalk pit (approx 40m x 40m)
- Campsite with shepherds hut
- Tennis Courts
- Private tarmacked roads
- Chicken, Sheep and a dog
- Old landrover, modern tractor and quad bikes
FACILITIES AT THE FARM
There’s a lot of parking both at the main farmyard but also down by the campsite for crew vehicles. The main farmyard area features a large open barn, which is not in use outside of harvest time and can be used as a crew base or storage. There are toilet facilities within the main farmyard area, along with additional toilet and shower facilities on the campsite, which is located next-door to the old mushroom farm and roughly a 15 minute walk from the main farmyard.
The owners of Chalk River Farm would happily provide pre-arranged food for up to 20 persons from the farm kitchen. Alternatively, there is space to park catering trucks and also public houses serving food within 1 mile of the farm.
The farm has its own campsite, which can be used by crew for accommodation. There are public houses offering accommodation within 2 miles of the farm and hotel accommodation within 4 miles.
GETTING TO CHALK RIVER FARM
Trains run from London Waterloo to Andover station (1 hour 10 minutes). The farm is approximately a 15 minute car journey from Andover station.
Central London is approximately 1 hour 30 minutes.